History

Find out how this prestigious village has evolved throughout history.

There is a village in the heart of Paris – The Village Royal – which has inherited the legacy of three centuries of outstanding architectural patrimony. Find out how this prestigious village has evolved throughout history.

THE VILLAGE SPIRIT

A spectacular renovation was undertaken from 1992 on. While preserving the historical structure and taking inspiration directly from the first blueprints found in the Archive, architect Jean-Jacques Ory launches , on the 85 000 square feet of the complex, a vast, 18 month long rebuilding operation with one master idea in mind : finding again the spirit of a « village street » and bringing that place back to life with all the luster of its long history, while strictly respecting the conservation of its architectural patrimony.

The premises have been entirely remodeled « old style », the shops, apartments and offices emerge from the site in accordance with its ubiquitous historical legacy. The setting of the passage, for instance, remains rigorously identical to the original layout. The reopening of the site in 1994, under the name of VILLAGE ROYAL, inaugurates a new period : this exceptional architectural structure revives with its soul of ever.

A TYPICALLY PARISIAN SCENE

From then on, the commercial activity  of the market will shape the development of this island, which rapidly grows into a genuine village within the city. The buildings, partly built against the barracks, which stand today face to face on either side of the pedestrian street in the VILLAGE ROYAL appeared respectively in 1760 and 1785.

For decades, the market thrives and new dwellers settle as the city expands. It is a picturesque urban setting, typically Parisian, where all the trades and businesses which give the town its colour flourish. The market is renovated for the first time in 1837.

Then, forty years later, in 1877, the passage changes its name. The Marché d’Aguesseau is renamed Cité Berryer after a politician of the time, famous for opposing Napoléon III.

A PASSAGE IS BORN

Eighteenth Century : The Village Royal does not yet exist. The area it occupies today is merely a stretch of private land, between the Rampart Path (now rue Royale) and the Rue de la Magdeleine (now Rue Boissy d’Anglas). The only noteworthy exception is a set of military barracks on the edge of the land, built in the 17 th Century for the Royal Guard of Louis XIII, the famed Musketeers or Mousquetaires.

But times change. Part of the Parisian population of the time begins to turn its back to the Marais – the overcrowded heart of Paris – and to « migrate » westward. To meet the needs of these new « outward » inhabitants, a market is needed. There are some nearby – The Marché Saint-Honoré – , but none in this new thriving Madeleine sector.

And thus, the owner of the so far unused stretch of land – a lawyer – accepts to sell it. The agreement is reached on August 31st, 1745. Blueprints are drawn (and are still kept at the National Archive). Along the barrack of the Guards, betwween Rampart Path and Magdeleine Street, a passage is built through the middle, in order to accommodate the shops and stalls of butchers, fishmongers, fruit merchants, bakers and so on. The Marché d’Aguesseau is inaugurated the next year, in july 1746.

A Village in the heart of Paris

Discover a refined and prestigious place

Luxury, elegance and refinement join together with the greatest names of fashion for dream shopping at the Village Royal.

Events

Village Royal's news

Stiletto

Stiletto

The Village Royal confirms its collaboration with Richard Orlinski, the best selling French contemporary artist in the world. He wants to make art accessible to the greatest possible number of people and breaks codes by exhibiting sometimes outside and for free. He likes to settle in atypical places in order to meet the audience. So(…)

Christmas in Le Village Royal

Christmas in Le Village Royal

Decorations, Christmas trees and lights have taken place in Le Village Royal for the festive season. Richard Orlinski‘s bear, the Standing Wild Bear, nests in the Village Royal Christmas trees forest. Mouth wide open, massive and quite threatening with its paws armed and large claws. Don’t be scared, he won’t move ! Take advantage of(…)

Richard Orlinski takes over the Village Royal !

Richard Orlinski takes over the Village Royal !

Richard Orlinski is the best selling French artists in the world. His work, conceived around the concept “Born Wild”. The stake for him is to transform negative emotions into positive vital impulses, to shift from archaic instinct to a civilized emotion. Engaged in making art accessible to all, Richard Orlinski draws on popular imagery of(…)

Read More

HOW TO GET TO THE VILLAGE ROYAL

Enter the Village Royal through the majestic porch of 25 rue Royale, between Place de la Madeleine and Faubourg Saint-Honoré.

The Village Royal is open Mondays to Saturdays from 8 : 00 AM to 8 : 30 PM, and its shops welcome you from 10 : 00 to 7 : 00 PM.

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Subject

Your Message

plan-acces

Village Royal
25 rue Royale, 75008 Paris
There is an other entrance Rue Boissy d’Anglas.